Tuesday 7 August 2012

Staycation Jar

Besides the weather, shopping is the great joy of holidaying in rural Britain, at least if you prefer vintage Poole Pottery over Louis Vuitton.   
This pot I found last week in Durham House Antiques, located in the lovely market town of Stow-on-the-Wold.  It's made from red earthenware, but has a grey glaze that dates it to between 1922 and 1924, and it's signed by the decorator, Truda Rivers, who also started working at Poole in 1922.  It's painted in a pattern coded YV (which looks remarkably similar to XY pattern!) on a lovely footed apothecary jar shape, numbered 839.
It's a rare shape, that I've only seen a few times before, but then always without a lid, which I never expected it to own, and the lid is unlike any Poole lid I've seen, with the comma shaped decoration and octagonal finial.  So overall, I'm quite chuffed with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment