Saturday 8 March 2014

Outdone Myself

I won this vase today with a commission bid left at A.E. Dowse Auctioneers in Sheffield.  As it happened, I arrived at the sale in person just in time to see this lot sell for half its estimate, which put enough doubt in my mind that the vase was mine, that I ended up bidding against myself.  Luckily for just one bid higher.
Still it's well worth it.  It needs a little bit of a clean, but it's a grey glazed TO pattern vase, painted by Ethel Barrett between 1922 and 1924.  It also has quite a novel shape number 2021/2. I've never seen a vase marked with a fraction shape number before, but there's some sense to it as the 202 shape number is a fat round shaped twin handled vase, whereas this one is a similar height but half as wide.

No comments:

Post a Comment